Throughout his 60-year career in journalism, Wallace sat down with international leaders and celebrities alike. No matter his subject, Wallace interviewed with a suave combination of toughness and grace. TIME looks back on the extraordinary legacy of the 60 Minutes correspondent.
More Photography from Time
- Remembering John Candy: His Career in Photos
- See TIME’s Portraits of the Winning Actors From the 2014 Oscars
- Oscars 2014 Fashion: The Best-Dressed and Worst-Dressed Women Over 40
- Your Favorite Celebrities Walk the 2014 Oscars Red Carpet
- An Alain Resnais Gallery: 91 Years in Marienbad
- Oscar’s Hottest Tinder Profiles: Which Way Will You Swipe?