Back in October, the Jonas Brothers called it quits. For Jonas watchers, the move was not entirely unexpected as the band of brothers had cancelled their 19-date fall tour just days before it was set to begin and canned a new album, V, which had been scheduled for release this year. The “creative differences” between Nick, Joe and Kevin Jonas had created an internal rift in the band, according to PEOPLE, which first broke word of the brewing trouble, leading to the decision to disband.
“It’s over for now,” Kevin Jonas said of the band’s decision to disband.
“I was feeling kind of trapped,” Nick Jonas added. “It’s really hard to say ‘forever.’ We’re closing a chapter, for sure.”
Now Joe Jonas is telling his side of the story. In a recent piece he wrote for Vulture, the middle Jonas brother is setting the facts straight
- Miley Cyrus and Demi Lovato peer pressured him into sparking up: “The first time I smoked weed was with Demi and Miley. I must have been 17 or 18. They kept saying, ‘Try it! Try it!’ So I gave it a shot, and it was all right.”
- He lost his virginity to Twilight star Ashley Greene: “When I was 20, I started dating Ashley Greene, and she was my first serious relationship. We were together for almost a year.”
- He’s glad he waited to have sex until he was 20: “I lost my virginity when I was 20. I did other stuff before then, but I was sexually active at 20. I’m glad I waited for the right person, because you look back and you go, ‘I’m glad I waited for the right person,’ [not] ‘That girl was batsh– crazy.’ I’m glad I didn’t go there.”
- The band never intended to be the poster children of abstinence before marriage: “Back then, we explained that we had made these promises to ourselves when we were younger. A few months later, it comes out that we’re in some cult and that we’re these little staged Mickey Mouse kids. People were coming up to us, saying, ‘Thank you so much, I’m waiting because you guys are, too!’ And we just thought, No! That’s not what we’re about.”
- Purity ring? What purity ring?: “I used to sneak out and hook up with this one girl in her car, and some rumor came out along the lines of: ‘Teen pop star seen in the back of a car, in a parking lot, hooking up.’ …I kept thinking, Oh my God, there’s going to be video, there’s going to be photos. The girl was also in the business, and we thought we were screwed because we were both working with Disney.”
- Taylor Swift can breathe a sigh of relief: “I genuinely don’t have any resentment against any of my exes. So I’m not going to disparage anyone I was in a relationship with—only I might put it in my music a little bit, and hint at it, and tease it here and there, just enough for the fans and the people who really know the story.”
- Demi Lovato once punched a girl in the face: “Demi ended up punching a girl in the face on a plane, because she thought the girl was blaming her for something. Everybody gasped, and the girl just started bleeding. That’s when her team and her family told her, ‘You need to go into rehab.’”
- He learned his lessons about drinking the hard way: “I was caught drinking when I was 16 or 17, and I thought the world was going to collapse. But I was in another country, and it was legal there. My 21st birthday, I fell down a flight of stairs. I was unconscious that time, and my whole team was scared to death that somebody was going to get a picture.”
- He’s inspired by Lorde: “I’m genuinely excited because now I can go back to the studio with those people who I used to work with. I don’t have to rely on anyone else’s opinion, whether good or bad, and hear them say, ‘No, no, you can’t go write with them. That’s too weird for us.’ Because weird works. Look at Lorde.”
For more with Jonas, head over to Vulture.com.
MORE: Jonas Brothers Call It Quits
MORE: Q&A: Taylor Hanson Talks New Album, Old Songs and Tie-In Products