This February, when neighborhood-watch volunteer George Zimmerman shot and killed Florida teenager Trayvon Martin, the concept of a do-it-yourself suburban patrol took on a new level of sinister meaning. As people across the country struggled to process the aftermath of the shooting, the national attention it drew and the behavior of Zimmerman, attention fell on Neighborhood Watch. The film is a raunchy comedy about a suburban alien invasion, but the title—and a trailer that featured young people in trouble and Jonah Hill making gun motions—was too close for comfort. The movie, which comes out on July 27, was renamed The Watch. An early promotional poster, which featured a gunshot-ridden sign, was also replaced with a one of the star comedians’ friendly faces.(MORE: Neighborhood Watch Movie Suffers from Seriously Bad Timing)
Actually, 'Arlington Road' contained a scene in which a young child is shot to death by an FBI agent while holding a gun (this occurs during the flashback explaining the death of Jeff Bridges' wife). The image itself was the last straw for the film's poor timing, and caused the pushing of the release.
Richard Ayoade is in "The Watch" (aka Maurice Moss his character from the IT Crowd), why is he not included in the cast listing?
Yes the World Trade Center is edited out of Spider-Man but the scene described wasn't removed because it was never part of the movie in the first place, it was always designed just to be used for the teaser trailer.
I saw Ted the day after the Aurora incident, and I'd say about 90% of the preview time was taken up with scenes of shooting and extreme violence. The other 10% was showing the movie titles, who's starring, and movie rating.
Perhaps their is hope for Hollywood, A long discussion about social responsibility could have a positive effect on our shared future.
I remember a big fuss over the horror thriller "Body Parts", released just before serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer was arrested and we all learned about the gruesome stash of dismembered victims in his apartment. The film plot bore no semblence to the crime but ads were pulled straight away and the film soon disappeared from theaters.
I have a DVD bought from Walmart of the Spiderman movie. The Twin towers are still seen in the screen that comes up with him flying around NYC on webs for a brief second. This is in the introduction where you have the choice to play, skip ahead or watch the trailer. If one looks close they are still in there.
Does an editor bother to read this stuff before posting? I thought the "early in the early morning hours" line on the first slide was bad, but the November 11, 1963 date on Dr. Strangelove... How does that error not get caught?!
Call me an old goat, but I can remember when errors were rare in "publications." Now I can't get through most web articles without finding one or two, and this November 11 instead of November 22 is just another glaring example.