A sensitive teenager, wracked with grief and guilt over the boating-accident death of his older brother, attempts suicide. When he is discharged from a psychiatric facility, his parents engage the services of a local psychiatrist. With the help and guidance of Dr. Berger, young Conrad Jarrett (Timothy Hutton) confronts the details of what happened on that stormy night on the lake and, just as importantly, the deep fractures that exist between his parents (who are burdened with hefty emotional baggage of their own). Judd Hirsch earned an Oscar nomination for his performance as the perceptive and empathetic Dr. Berger and, according to a New York Times article published shortly after the film’s release, the appreciation of mental-health professionals, who welcomed a thoughtful and sympathetic portrayal of one of their own.
The Doctor Is In
- Dr. Hannibal Lecter, The Silence of the Lambs
- Sean Maguire, Good Will Hunting
- Dr. Caligari, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
- Dr. Malcolm Crowe, The Sixth Sense
- Dr. Tyrone Berger, Ordinary People
- Dr. Ben Sobel, Analyze This
- Dr. Sam Loomis, Halloween
- Dr. Eudora Fletcher, Zelig
- Dr. Constance Peterson, Spellbound
- Dr. Leo Marvin, What About Bob?