The Rum Diary, a fictionalized account of Hunter S. Thompson’s life as a freelancer in Puerto Rico, hits theaters on October 28. In honor of the late-career novel that he wrote during his early days as a reporter, a look back at the infamous journalist’s life in pictures.
More Photography from Time
- Remembering John Candy: His Career in Photos
- See TIME’s Portraits of the Winning Actors From the 2014 Oscars
- Oscars 2014 Fashion: The Best-Dressed and Worst-Dressed Women Over 40
- Your Favorite Celebrities Walk the 2014 Oscars Red Carpet
- An Alain Resnais Gallery: 91 Years in Marienbad
- Oscar’s Hottest Tinder Profiles: Which Way Will You Swipe?