The Rum Diary, a fictionalized account of Hunter S. Thompson’s life as a freelancer in Puerto Rico, hits theaters on October 28. In honor of the late-career novel that he wrote during his early days as a reporter, a look back at the infamous journalist’s life in pictures.
More Photography from Time
- 13 Disney Princesses — and the Actresses Who Voiced Them
- 10 Celebrities With Surprising Hidden Talents
- The 11 Most Mysterious Celebrity Deaths
- From Squirrel Girl to Doop: 10 Super-Obscure Marvel Superheroes
- ‘Ender’s Game’: A Before-and-After Gallery of the Amazing Visual FX
- Lou Reed’s Life in Photos: 1942-2013